Re: Branching for netbsd-10 next week

Hi Martin,

Martin Husemann wrote:
  - unaware users may install FFSv2ea file systems and later find the need
    to access them from older NetBSD kernels. "Downgrading" them is
    quite easy using the ufs2ea-flip tool mentioned in the wiki page,
    but it is not "plug & play".

  - if FFSv2ea is not the default, most new installs will create non-EA
    enabled file systems and
     - the EAs will not get much testing
     - packets from pkgsrc (like samba) will continue to have the corresponding
       options disabled by default
     - users will have a hard time to find the conversion options later.
       It is hidden in fsck_ffs(8) and quite simple: after having made
       sure your bootloader is up to date, boot to single user and
       run something like: "fsck_ffs -c ea /"

So, what should be the default FFS type for new installs in netbsd-10 ?

given that switching to the new version is "relatively easy" after install too, in both directions, I would conservatively keep using FFSv2  as default, but suggesting EA for new installation without interoperability issues, for this release. If all goes well, for the next release, which would be 11, or even 10.1 (debatable) switch EA on.

Given, however, that ufs2ea-flip exists, I don't find it that menacing to switch to EA by default.

Riccardo