Re: building source against installed libraries?

On Mon, Oct 31, 2022 at 11:10:24 +0100, Thomas Klausner wrote:

> For test builds, I use 'USETOOLS=no make' to avoid building a
> toolchain.  However that still wants to link against libraries built
> in the source tree, i.e. I have to 'cd /usr/src/lib/libcrypto &&
> USETOOLS=no make' to build a new libcrypto if this library is used.
>
> Is there a toggle to build against the installed libraries instead?

It's entirely unclear from this description what exactly you are
trying to do and how does it fail.

If I have to venture a guess (I don't have time atm to second guess/
reverse engineer the question), you are probably running into
something like LIBDPLIBS dependencies that are explicitly listed in
the in-tree makefiles, b/c those makefiles are intended to build the
in-tree code (e.g. for curses I would disable its LIBDPLIBS dependency
on terminfo).  Just overriding them on the command line might help.

-uwe