building source against installed libraries?

Hi!

For test builds, I use 'USETOOLS=no make' to avoid building a
toolchain.  However that still wants to link against libraries built
in the source tree, i.e. I have to 'cd /usr/src/lib/libcrypto &&
USETOOLS=no make' to build a new libcrypto if this library is used.

Is there a toggle to build against the installed libraries instead?
 Thomas