Re: Using the audio(4) driver for recording under -current?

On Wed, Oct 26, 2022 at 03:39:44PM -0700, Brian Buhrow wrote:
> 	hello.  Just to clarify, I'm not trying to use two audio devices for recording at the same
> time.  What I was doing was something like:
>
> #set up the audio device first
> audioctl -d /dev/sound2 -w record.rate=44100 record.channels=2 record.precision=16 \
>  record.encoding=slinear_le
>
> #Now, the mixer device
> mixerctl -d /dev/mixer2 -w inputs.line=240,240 record.source=mic inputs.mic.mute=off \
>  record.volume=240,240
>
> Then, to record:
> cat /dev/sound2 > rawrecordingfile

There are some quirks of /dev/sound that might cause problems,
for example it has "sticky" pause state. I'd recommend using
audiorecord(1) with /dev/audio instead just to get more
consistent results. The man page has a nice predictable
example to record CD quality audio:

$ audiorecord -c 2 -e slinear_le -P 16 -s 44100 recording.wav

It would also be interesting to see your full mixerctl -a
output, there are many sound card dependent variables that
could affect recording.