Re: How to BIOS-boot from NVMe device?

Paul Goyette <paul%whooppee.com@localhost> writes:

> On Thu, 8 Sep 2022, Paul Goyette wrote:
>
>> Would be nice to get my menu back and have it default to the NetBSD
>> system partition, but at least it boots!
>
> I got my menu back.  Just had to put it at /efi/boot.cfg (ie, at the
> root of the EFI partition).
>

> +--------------------+--------------------------+----------------------+
> | Paul Goyette       | PGP Key fingerprint:     | E-mail addresses:    |
> | (Retired)          | FA29 0E3B 35AF E8AE 6651 | paul%whooppee.com@localhost    |
> | Software Developer | 0786 F758 55DE 53BA 7731 | pgoyette%netbsd.org@localhost  |
> | & Network Engineer |                          | pgoyette99%gmail.com@localhost |
> +--------------------+--------------------------+----------------------+

This is a clear indication of a UEFI boot.  There is confusion in the
docs about where the boot.cfg file should be located.  I have also found
that the desired behavior works if it is in the root of the EFI
filesystem.

If anyone wants to play with UEFI booting and has access to a recent Xen
DOM0 system you can install the pkgsrc/sysutils/ovmf package and point a
Xen HVM guest at that for its bios and get a more or less working UEFI
setup without physical hardware (you will have to compile a custom
kernel without PVM or PVHVM support).  I posted a note on port-xen a bit
ago about what works and what had trouble.  You can probably do the same
thing with qemu and/or nvmm but I have not messed with those.

--
Brad Spencer - brad%anduin.eldar.org@localhost - KC8VKS - http://anduin.eldar.org