Re: How to BIOS-boot from NVMe device?

On Thu 08 Sep 2022 at 12:36:46 -0400, Brad Spencer wrote:
> This is a clear indication of a UEFI boot.  There is confusion in the
> docs about where the boot.cfg file should be located.  I have also found
> that the desired behavior works if it is in the root of the EFI
> filesystem.

How does the UEFI system decide what to boot? It obviously requires a
special partition on a disk. But what if there are multiple files in
there which are potentially bootable? I was expecting some built-in UEFI
shell in my newest computer, so that I can handle such cases myself, or
something like that. However, I found no signs of such a shell (and when
I read about it, it generally seems to be assumed that it is indeed
built-in).  Also, even if I would find one as a file (I didn't find ut
yet) and put it in my EFI partition, I'm not sure how to start it, since
the system as shown no signs that it offers boot opptions more detailed
than "boot from a disk".

-Olaf.
--
___ "Buying carbon credits is a bit like a serial killer paying someone else to
\X/  have kids to make his activity cost neutral." -The BOFH    falu.nl@rhialto