Re: How to BIOS-boot from NVMe device?

    Date:        Thu, 8 Sep 2022 08:07:44 -0700 (PDT)
    From:        Paul Goyette <paul%whooppee.com@localhost>

  | I got my menu back.  Just had to put it at /efi/boot.cfg (ie, at the
  | root of the EFI partition).

That's interesting, not where it is supposed to be placed - I hadn't
tried putting one there (and should have).   Debugging what was going
on with efiboot and its cfg file was on my list of things to hope that
someone else fixed before I couldn't tolerate it any more...

The updated biosboot you did is probably irrelevant - I am guessing is
that somehow secureboot is no longer being attempted, you're obviously
getting a nice UEFI boot, and as long as that works, stick with it.
Eventually that boot mechanism is almost certain to allow many improvements.

Since UEFI booting is clearly enabled (which it is possible, though it would
be unusual, that your BIOS simply turns on when it finds a properly set up ESP
and has no other option) there would not be an option in the BIOS to enable it.
There should (but might not be) one to disable it though, perhaps called
something about "Legacy Boot" (or something similar), and possibly way down
the bottom (not initially visible on screen) of the BIOS (must stop calling
it that, that's the name for the ancient thing, now we have UEFI firmware)
boot page.

kre