Re: "zfs send" freezes system

I'd vote for backing out the patch unless someone(TM) can find the pgdaemon issue.

Best regards,

  Frank

On 07/19/22 08:46, Matthias Petermann wrote:
Hello,

On 13.07.22 12:30, Matthias Petermann wrote:

I can now confirm that reverting the patch also solved my problem. Of course I first fell into the trap, because I had not considered that the ZFS code is loaded as a module and had only changed the kernel. As a result, it looked at first as if this would not help. Finally it did...I am now glad that I can use a zfs send again in this way. This previously led reproducibly to a crash, whereby I could not make backups. This is critical for me and I would like to support tests regarding this.

In contrast to the PR, there are hardly any xcalls in my use case - however, my system only has 4 CPU cores, 2 of which are physical.

Many greetings
Matthias

Roundabout one week after removing the patch, my system with ZFS is behaving "normally" for the most part and the freezes have disappeared. What is the recommended way given the 10 branch? If it is not foreseeable that the basic problem can be solved shortly, would it also be an option to withdraw the patch in the sources to get at least a stable behavior? (Not only) on the sidelines, I would still be interested in whether this "zfs send" problem occurs in general, or whether certain hardware requirements have a favorable effect on it.

Kind regards
Matthias