Re: Radeon HD 5450?

On Wed, 11 May 2022 11:15:42 +1000
matthew green <mrg%eterna.com.au@localhost> wrote:

> do you have anything else handy to test?  gpus are crazy stupid
> prices these days :-(

Hi Matthew,

  My department has several nvidia around and I have not yet found
one that works to the point of getting X running.  I've tried
the following:

   MSI GEFORCE GTX 1060
   GIGABYTE GEFORCE GTX 1650
   EVGA GEFORCE GTX 1018Ti (not enough power)
   An older Radeon I had sitting around, not sure which one but
    it blew up in the same place as the 5450 ... not mapping
    the BIOS.
   The video chip on the motherboard ... it finds it as
    acpivga0 with acpiout0 to acpiout7.  It finds a genfb0
    and labels it "Intel Rocket Lake UHD Graphics 750 (32EU) (rev. 0x04)
    It then reports drm at genfb0 not configured.  I do get a
    working wscons with 4 screens.  "X -configure" quits with
    an error saying that the number of created screens does not
    match number of detected devices.  In the Xorg.0.log when
    it probes for the Intel integrated Graphics Chipsets it
    doesn't list the 750 and it doesn't match it.
    I don't have heavy gpu requirements so if I could get the
    intel UHD graphics working, that would be good.

  You said you have a working nouveau 730.  I'll see if I can
acquire one of those to try.  Any specific card you recommend?

--Phil