Re: recent sysinst UX changes

On Sun, Nov 08, 2020 at 05:32:16PM +0000, nia wrote:
> after several changes in 9.1 and -current, it's strange to me that the option
> that I expect is the most popular for installing NetBSD (start over, fresh
> partitions, use the whole disk) is no longer the default option:

It never was and I am not sure it should be. This option actually
is brand new and never was offered before this explicitly.

I don't have a strong opinion on order of options and defaults though,
at this stage in an installer that offers to destroy all of your disk
you should be thinking twice what you select.

> while inputting entropy by hand isn't something i would consider
> acceptable to expose to everyday users of a modern operating system
> in the first place, the suggestion that they might use coin tosses
> makes the entire thing feel like a big joke (and in general the dialog
> is overly complicated).

I am open to concrete suggestions how to improve things here.
Note that most users on real machines never should see this dialog
and that manual input is only one of a few options available.

I feel the whole thing is a bad pain, but either something like this
or we will end up with insecure/incomplete installations.

Martin