Re: github.com/NetBSD/src 5 days old?

On May 14, 2020, at 09:26, Joerg Sonnenberger <joerg%bec.de@localhost> wrote:

> On Wed, May 13, 2020 at 10:11:14PM -0400, John Franklin wrote:
>> There are scalability issues with Mercurial, too.  I cloned NetBSD src
>> on a 1GB RAM, 1GB swap, 4 CPU VM (Debian Buster) using git from the
>> GitHub project and from anonhg.netbsd.org.
>
> You are comparing Apples and Oranges. The clonebundles on anonhg are
> created with very large windows and zstd compression and the necessary
> buffering of that is the primary memory use. I used to provide bzip2
> bundles as fallback, but disk space constrains made that temporarily
> undesirable. I.e. this is not about scaling at all.

I’m comparing cloning with cloning using the same VM.  From the contributor’s POV, it's as apples-to-apples as it gets.  Even the commands are the same: “$VCS clone $URL”

As configured, Mercurial takes 3x the memory, 4x the time, and fails to clone at all without a minimum of 3GB of RAM+swap.  The driving factor behind the resource requirement is the amount of history the project has.  Which is to say, how well these two tools *scale* with the size of the repository.

If server-side changes can reduce that, and all the server needs is a bigger disk, then get a bigger disk.

jf
--
John Franklin
franklin%elfie.org@localhost