Re: ZFS on root - almost there

On 25/02/2020 21:40, Chavdar Ivanov wrote:
On Tue, 25 Feb 2020 at 20:14, Roy Marples <roy%marples.name@localhost> wrote:

On 22/02/2020 19:22, Roy Marples wrote:
https://wiki.netbsd.org/wiki/RootOnZFS/

Updated the wiki and the ramdisk - either the bootloader needs to load the
modules via boot.cfg or the modules need to be built into the kernel.

I don't get it - with my present, still 9.99.47 setup, I am able to
load modules:

Because we can label a GPT parition "boot".
However, that won't work for MBR based systems.
It's also not very friendly if you have any other OS present who might for similar reasons have a parition named boot either.

There's just no easy way to load the modules from the ramdisk without putting
them inside the ramdisk .... and I think too many people would forget to
re-build the ramdisk or put it against the wrong kernel.

So is the option of loading them as per the above no longer available?

No it's not.
It is however available from the source history if you really want it.

As a last metric, since reverting back to letting the bootloader load the modules, zpool is no longer panicing randomly. Or the randomness just hasn't struck yet!

Roy