Re: ZFS on root - almost there

On Tue, 25 Feb 2020 at 20:14, Roy Marples <roy%marples.name@localhost> wrote:

> On 22/02/2020 19:22, Roy Marples wrote:
> > https://wiki.netbsd.org/wiki/RootOnZFS/
>
> Updated the wiki and the ramdisk - either the bootloader needs to load the
> modules via boot.cfg or the modules need to be built into the kernel.

I don't get it - with my present, still 9.99.47 setup, I am able to
load modules:
➜  xci modstat tun
NAME                       CLASS    SOURCE   FLAG  REFS    SIZE REQUIRES
➜  xci modload tun
➜  xci modstat tun
NAME                       CLASS    SOURCE   FLAG  REFS    SIZE REQUIRES
tun                        driver   filesys  -        0      11 if_tun
➜  xci uname -a
NetBSD nzfs 9.99.47 NetBSD 9.99.47 (GENERIC) #10: Sat Feb 22 14:18:50
GMT 2020  sysbuild@ymir:/home/sysbuild/amd64/obj/home/sysbuild/src/sys/arch/amd64/compile/GENERIC
amd64
➜  xci df -k /
Filesystem    1K-blocks       Used      Avail %Cap Mounted on
rpool/ROOT     23859472    2232129   21627343   9% /

> There's just no easy way to load the modules from the ramdisk without putting
> them inside the ramdisk .... and I think too many people would forget to
> re-build the ramdisk or put it against the wrong kernel.

So is the option of loading them as per the above no longer available?

> Also, I've updated the minimum required kernel to 9.99.48 as Taylor R Campbell
> has kindly fixed the problem of writing to the FFS boot device from the ZFS
> chroot :)

I'll try it later.

> Roy

Thanks.