Re: net/net-snmp build failure on 9.99.37

On Tue, Jan 14, 2020 at 03:20:46PM +0000, Chavdar Ivanov wrote:
> To complete the analysis, I tried to upgrade a 9.99.36 system to
> 9.99.37 by booting off the ISO file I previously used for the clean
> installation described above.
>
> It failed in a similar was as with sysupgrade :
>
> ls -l /sbin /bin /usr/sbin /usr/bin | egrep 'wheel[ \t]*0' | wc -l
>       91
> (the clean installation returns 0).
>
> It gets less clear after this... But at the moment I can't see how to
> upgrade to 9.99.37.

I just hit the same thing without using sysupgrade.

Essentially tar built in I'm not sure which window can't unpack symlinks.

On a couple of days old -current/amd64

grab base.tar.xz
tar -tzvf base.tar.xz | grep reboot        see that it's a symlink
tar -xzpvf base.tar.xz -C /                see that /sbin/reboot is a zero
                                                 length file
cd / && pax -r -v -z -pe -f base.tar.xz    see that /sbin/reboot is fine

Oddly - now repeat the tar, and also find that it is fine.

So the work around seems to be "use pax". The surpise is that then tar is
fixed.

Cheers,

Patrick