Re: device-specific "vdpau" support?

On Sat 29 Jun 2019 at 20:55:16 +0000, maya%netbsd.org@localhost wrote:
> Supposedly it's even more efficient video decoding, but I didn't do a
> comparison (It would be pretty easy to do, since pkgsrc mesa does build
> VDPAU).

With the Linux I now have on my Pinebook, there are vdpau drivers for
the graphics chipset, but no "regular" acceleration. As a result, video
players can play 1080p videos perfectly, as long as you don't try to use
anything GUI-ish, because that is still slow as molasses...

That is the sort of difference it can make.

(Personally, I'd prefer the other way around, if I had to choose only
one...)

-Olaf.
--
___ Olaf 'Rhialto' Seibert  -- "What good is a Ring of Power
\X/ rhialto/at/falu.nl      -- if you're unable...to Speak." - Agent Elrond