Re: "dmesg -T" date doesn't match "date" output

gcw%pobox.com@localhost (Geoff Wing) writes:

>From my quick look, sys/kern/init_main.c:666 initialises boottime
>after mounting the root file system, so "dmesg -T" is using a bad
>value.

When there is no TOD clock, the time is deduced from the timestamp in the
superblock of the root filesystem. That's why boottime is set only after
mounting the root.

We could save the uptime value at that point and make dmesg -T adjust
the timestamps accordingly. I would even like this for the relative
timestamps, so that early entries show up with a negative time, but
that's a matter of taste.

                                Michael van Elst
Internet: mlelstv%serpens.de@localhost