Re: NetBSD with a gaming keyboard

On Thu, Aug 10, 2017 at 10:02:42AM -0500, John D. Baker wrote:

> Usually, hard-core gamers demand PS/2 keyboard ports because USB keyboards
> are not responsive enough for "twitch" gaming.  Thats why a number of
> main boards retain PS/2 keyboard ports.

Not response, you can poll the USB fast enough, gamers like ps/2 because
you can get true n-key rollover (hold down as many keys as you like at
once and they all get detected).  The USB packet has a limit to the
number of key down events that can be reported.  Of course the keyboard
has to support this too but the gamer oriented keyboards do.

> Check out "pckeyboard.com" and look under Unicomp Keyboards for the
> "Classic".  They are a bit pricy, but I think worth it for a piece of
> equipment you must touch to use.

I have a Das Keyboard which works fine with NetBSD (well, apart from the
mouse not being detected *sometimes* when it is plugged into the
in-built usb hub on the keyboard).  The keys are the buckling spring
design.

--
Brett Lymn
Let go, or be dragged - Zen proverb.