Re: disabling mediaopts for if_wm(4)

On Thu, 11 May 2017, Paul Goyette wrote:

FWIW, the re(4) situation is worse - very much worse!

The re(4) negotiates 100BaseTX with no mediaopts at all, neither full nor half, and no flow-control.

It took a couple of minutes before dhcpcd could configure the interface and even then it was almost totally unusable. The speedtest site could not connect to its servers, and I couldn't even do a dns lookup (using the google 8.8.8.{4,8} servers).

I'm also now running 7.99.71 and wm(4) has not improved.

So I guess I'm going to need a different switch.

Yup, that fixed the problem! I replaced the D-Link switch with a 3x more expensive TP-Link TL-SG1008 (8-port 10/100/1000) and that has fixed the situation. The speedtest.net now reports 50Mb/sec up and down - that's what it should be! And actual file transfers and other activity (such as loading web pages) are back to normal.

| Paul Goyette     | PGP Key fingerprint:     | E-mail addresses:          |
| (Retired)        | FA29 0E3B 35AF E8AE 6651 | paul at whooppee dot com   |
| Kernel Developer | 0786 F758 55DE 53BA 7731 | pgoyette at netbsd dot org |