Re: repeated failure to properly shutdown

    Date:        Fri, 22 Jul 2016 17:09:30 -0700
    From:        bch <brad.harder%gmail.com@localhost>

  | Iirc, where I *noticed* it was /etc/defaults/rc.d

Yes, that (/etc/defaults/rc.conf I assume you mean) writes to /dev/null - but
init has made the tmpfs /dev (if it needs it) before it runs /etc/rc - and so
before /etc/defaults/rc.conf gets used.

There is essentially nothing possible from when the system boots before the
tmpfs /dev/ is made - when /dev/console is not there.  MAKEDEV is just about
the first thing init does in that case - which is why I initially assumed that
the problem had to be there (but MAKEDEV does literally nothing to /dev/null
except mknod it when needed.)

Given that I see two possibilities, and maybe you can remember which is more
likely?   Either /dev/null (the file in /dev on the root filesys) got created
before you initially booted the system, or it was created while you were
fixing the missing /dev/console just recently.

First, at any time did you have your new root filesystem mounted somewhere,
and chroot /to/it (that is if it were on /mnt and you did "chroot /mnt") ?

There was no need to do that to fix the missing /dev/console (and the missing
rest of /dev) and it was not what Martin suggested you do, so I am going to
guess that this did not happen today/yesterday when you were fixing things.
Sound right?

So, think back to when you first built the system.   Sometime then you would
have needed to do some configuration - did you boot first, and then configure
(stuff like the hostname, the network config, rc_configured=YES in rc.conf etc)
or did you set some of that up before you booted?  (It doesn't matter here
if it was the very first boot or not, just if you did setup only while running
the new system, or if you did some config from the system you used to run
build.sh).

If you did config using the older system - how did that happen?   Do you just
"cd /new-root/etc; edit; edit; edit ..." or did you "chroot /new-root" ... ?

kre