Re: repeated failure to properly shutdown

Iirc, where I *noticed* it was /etc/defaults/rc.d

On Jul 22, 2016 5:03 PM, "Robert Elz" <kre%munnari.oz.au@localhost> wrote:
    Date:        Fri, 22 Jul 2016 16:27:19 -0700
    From:        bch <brad.harder%gmail.com@localhost>

  | It could be that for some reason it's missing, and a first attempt to write
  | to it just creates a regular file...

Yes, that's a given - the question is just where is that first attempt.
It has to be before init makes the tmpfs /dev (the /dev/null created in
the tmpfs would have been the right thing, or you would have noticed that
problem much sooner) and it has to be with the live system as root (not
when it is mounted on /mnt) as nothing is likely to accidentally write
to /mnt/dev/null ...

A chroot to /mnt might do it I suppose...

Michael Plass <mfpnb%plass-family.net@localhost> said:

  | Could it perhaps come from the ( set -o tabcomplete 2>/dev/null ) in /etc/
  | shrc?

Not in normal operation, /etc/shrc wouldn't normally be able to run until
way after init has created the tmpfs /dev - init doesn't set ENV, so the
sh it runs to execute MAKEDEV wouldn't source shrc - ENV set to /etc/shrc
normally comes from /root/.profile which would be used only when root logs in.

kre