Re: repeated failure to properly shutdown

On Fri, Jul 22, 2016, at 14:00, Robert Elz wrote:
>     Date:        Fri, 22 Jul 2016 07:11:50 -0400 From:        "Ian D.
>     Leroux" <idleroux%fastmail.fm@localhost> Message-ID:
>     <20160722071150.5248712b562feea8d5c89980%fastmail.fm@localhost>
>
>   | Might this be a good moment to test them out and commit them?
>
> Perhaps, but not really as a fix for the current problem -- we already
> know, from what we have been told, that not doing the tmpfs umount
> avoids the crash ... what I, at least, would like to find is why the
> crash happens at all, rather than just work around it.

Fair enough.

> That won't make umounting a tmpfs /dev any more rational to do though
> (but just a tmpfs that happens to contain a device node is perhaps not
> the right test for what to avoid, and manual specification when that
> fails to DTRT isn't a great alternative.)

I'm not sure there *is* a truly correct test for what to avoid, given
the nature of what's being done at swapoff, but there may well be better
heuristics.  I don't want to derail this thread though, so we can take
that up separately at a later date.

Good luck fixing the crash!

-- IDL