Re: nfs client kernel crash

On Mon, 20 Jun 2016, Christos Zoulas wrote:

On Jun 20, 10:24pm, 6bone%6bone.informatik.uni-leipzig.de@localhost (6bone%6bone.informatik.uni-leipzig.de@localhost) wrote:
-- Subject: Re: nfs client kernel crash

| On Fri, 17 Jun 2016, Christos Zoulas wrote:
|
| > | I am mounting with: nosuid,userquota,rw,tcp,soft,intr
| > |
| > | Is this a problem?
| >
| > Yes :-), I'd get rid of "soft" first.
| >
| > christos
| >
| I changed the nfs options to: userquota,nosuid,rw,tcp,bg
|
| The message is still there.

The interrupted message? If yes, this is wrong. Do you want to instrument
the code or should I and send you a patch?

Since I have removed the nfs mount options soft and intr, I have not seen any interrupted message.

Since I have applied the patch there was no more crash. The PR/51215 can be closed.

In my opinion, the NFS client implementation is still faulty. In the last days I have created and deleted a mirror of Scientific Linux for several times. This is a very large tree. Some directories have up to 10,000 entries. In some experiments I tried to clear the tree recursively and got some error messages like:

rm -rf scientific/
rm: scientific/50/i386/updates/security: Directory not empty
rm: scientific/50/i386/updates: Directory not empty
rm: scientific/50/i386: Directory not empty
rm: scientific/50/x86_64/sites/Fermi/updates/security: Directory not empty
rm: scientific/50/x86_64/sites/Fermi/updates: Directory not empty
rm: scientific/50/x86_64/sites/Fermi: Directory not empty
rm: scientific/50/x86_64/sites: Directory not empty
rm: scientific/50/x86_64: Directory not empty
rm: scientific/50: Directory not empty
rm: scientific: Directory not empty

A new 'rm -rf' call deletes the remaining data. This behavior occurs randomly. Often in a directory with many files. I observed the behavior
with different nfs servers.

I have not found any way to reproduce the behavior safely and with little effort :-(

Regards
Uwe