Re: Hanging at shutdown with mystery "file system full" error

"D'Arcy J.M. Cain" <darcy%NetBSD.org@localhost> wrote:
>On Thu, 22 Oct 2015 01:12:51 +0200
>Joerg Sonnenberger <joerg%britannica.bec.de@localhost> wrote:
>> > Have you considered the possibility that having your devices on a
>> > mounted FS is just asking for trouble?  I'm not sure but I think
>> > that I would be surprised if I made all my devices suddenly
>> > disappear and it didn't hang.  Why do you have it on a mounted FS
>> > anyway?
>>
>> As written, that's done automatically by init if /dev is not populated
>> with devices. That is a common setup for ramdisks and read-only root
>> installations. It must not be broken.
>
>I see.  So how does the system deal with devices suddenly disappearing
>during shutdown?  Also, the OP is not using a R/O system (it's a
>laptop) so if /dev is on a tmpfs then he must be doing it manually in
>his fstab, right?  That's not the same as init doing it automatically.

The OP did state that the root filesystem is read-only.

It should be easy enough to mount root writable, populate /dev on this
filesystem then switch back to mounting it read-only.

There must be more than one way that a tmpfs can be active at the point
where it is forceably unmounted though. I don't have /dev on tmpfs and
get exactly the same error message at shutdown.

Robert Swindells