Re: current status of ixg(4)

On 2015/04/02 18:17, Masanobu SAITOH wrote:
On 2015/04/02 18:13, Masanobu SAITOH wrote:
On 2015/04/02 0:01, Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:
On Tue, Mar 31, 2015 at 03:38:45PM +0200, 6bone%6bone.informatik.uni-leipzig.de@localhost wrote:
On Fri, 27 Mar 2015, Masanobu SAITOH wrote:

This change have commited now.

New patch:

    http://www.netbsd.org/~msaitoh/ixg-20150327-0.dif

I have tested the patch and found no problems.

  Thanks. I'll commit that diff.

My server (HP G5) can handle with the new driver package rates up to 200,000
packets per second. Then CPU0 is running at 100% with interrupts.

If I have not charged me, it comes with 200,000 packets per second and an
MTU of 1500 bytes to a maximum of 2.4GB.

Is it possible to optimize some parameters for the interrupt throttling?

I think for your workload you may actually want interrupt distribution over
multiple CPUs.  But we have some support for that in -current now, right?

The next thing you're likely to run into is contention for the kernel lock
in ip_input.  But if I recall correctlly how this driver's built, I don't
think you should be seeing that time charged to the interrupt handler, so
I *think* you are not there yet.

Thor

  It's correct what tls@ said.

  For ixg(4), it has multiqueue support, but it's not enabled because
NetBSD-current has not MSI/MSI-X support yet. The remaining is to merge
knakahara@'s MSI/MSI-X support and use the API. The change would be
merged in a few weeks.

  For layer 2, NET_MPSAFE enables the MP capability.

  For layer 3, it's now working in progress.

  For the detail about NET_MPSAFE and MSI/MSI-X, see Ryota Ozaki and
Kengo Nakahara's paper and presentations in AsiaBSDCon 2015:

     http://www.netbsd.org/gallery/presentations/

  There are some graphs from page 60 to 63 in their slides.

Other than NET_MPSAFE and MSI/MSI-X, ixg(4) still have a room to
improve the performance. I have not merged all of FreeBSD's change
yet. I checked all changes and I knew there were some changes that

s/some changes/some changes which improve performance/

I have not merged yet.

  Thanks.

                SAITOH Masanobu (msaitoh%execsw.org@localhost
                                 msaitoh%netbsd.org@localhost)