Re: NetBSD-HEAD amd64 refuses to build

On Tue, Dec 17, 2013 at 01:16:29PM +0000, Thomas Mueller wrote:
> > A clean build with no special options means at least this:
>
>   * clean source tree, with no extra or modified files (it might be
>     easiest to delete everything and check out a clean source tree);
>   * no left over output files or temporary files from previous build
>     attempts, such as TOOLDIR, RELEASEDIR, DESTDIR, or obj dirs;
>   * no /etc/mk.conf or similar file;
>   * no -V options passed to build.sh;
>   * no environment variables that are intended to affect the build.

Good advice!

> I need /etc/mk.conf for pkgsrc though it apparently plays no role in system
> builds.

/etc/mk.conf is used in system builds - hence the suggestion to try building
without, above.

> > Is this problem repeatable, and does it also appear with -j1?
>
> --apb (Alan Barrett)
>
> I never set -j1, though I've omitted this parameter a few times, and it made
> no apparent difference.

This is odd, as from your previous message:

>> ===> build.sh command:    ./build.sh -m amd64 -M ../obj.amd64.llvm
>> -B nb20131214-llvm -T ../tooldir.amd64.llvm -V MKLLVM=yes -V
>> HAVE_LLVM=yes -V MKLIBCXX=yes -U -j 9 distribution kernel=GENERIC
                                    ^^^^
The reason for trying -j1, i.e., a serial build, is again to simplify
the build so that issues of the form "object A hadn't finished building
before it was needed by B in the other parallel make" can be ruled out.

Cheers,

Patrick