Re: ahcisata1 port 0: SERR 0x0

On Mon, 16 Dec 2013, Manuel Bouyer wrote:

        ahcisata1 port 0: device present, speed: 1.5Gb/s
        cd0(ahcisata1:0:0): using PIO mode 4, DMA mode 2, Ultra-DMA mode 5
        (Ultra/100) (using DMA)
        ahcisata1 port 0: SERR 0x0
        ahcisata1 port 0: SERR 0x0

They really aren't harming anything, since I almost never use the cd
drive, but I was wondering if anyone else has seen these recently?
Do these messages indicate a failing cd drive?  Or a failing
controller card?

This message is when the adapter reports a "Interface fatal error".
What's strange is that the SATA error register is empty, so I wonder
if the adapter isn't just reporting a false error here.
Maybe swapping cables could help.
Is the drive working properly ?

A quick check shows that the cd drive appears to be working correctly.

I inserted a previously-recorded DVD+R disc, mounted the cd9669 file system, and browsed successfully. I was also able to use 'eject cd0' to remove the cd.

I did get an additional instance of the error message on each of two uses of the 'mount -tcd9660 /dev/cd0a /cd' command, and on one of the 'eject cd0' commands. But otherwise it seems that everything works properly.

I have not yet had a chance to open up the box and check/replace the SATA cable.

| Customer Service | FA29 0E3B 35AF E8AE 6651 | paul at whooppee.com    |