Re: Creating /dev/dk* nodes so as to be persistent

from  Michael van Elst <mlelstv%serpens.de@localhost>:

> mueller6724%bellsouth.net@localhost ("Thomas Mueller") writes:

> >After building the system from source and installing/copying the kernels,
> >generic and custom, my installworld command was, or something like because
> +directory names were not always the same:

> > ./build.sh -O ../obj.amd64 -B nb6amd64-20130516 -m amd64 -T
> > ../tooldir.amd64 -U install=/

> Obviously this is not sufficient for an initial installation (but usually
> for an update, except for the bootloader). I think the minimum is to augment
> this with:

> - /etc/fstab (create entries according to your partitioning)
> - /dev (run MAKEDEV)
> - bootloader (fdisk/gpt/installboot depending on your setup)

I would have to ad distribution in the first build.sh command, maybe more?

> >sysinst is not workable: GPT.

> Unfortunately. In that case you need to do manually what sysinst
> does for a standard disk. See above.

Building and installing from source does not require sysinst.

> >Would a reinstall such as you suggest disrupt my installed packages from
> >pkgsrc?

> The point was 'reinstall with sysinst' which should format system partitions.
> Wether that affects packages depends on where you installed your packages,
> it defintely affects the startup scripts.

> >How does using NetBSD-current instead of 6.1-STABLE cause more problems?

> Current can be completely broken, that's the development tree, not some
> release.

I see what you mean, but 6.x is completely broken as far as MSI Z77 MPOWER
motherboard is concerned.

I notice on
http://releng.netbsd.org/cgi-bin/builds.php

sometimes a build of HEAD shows 0 ok 66 failed.

Site seems down now, not able to refresh.

I notice evbmips-mips64el (do I remember correctly?) has been consistently
failing recently.

I was tracking netbsd-5, netbsd-6 and netbsd-HEAD for both i386 and amd64: too
much to keep up with.

I believe only HEAD allows NAME= in /etc/fstab .

I also want to see if I can connect with on-motherboard Atheros AR9271 wifi.

> >> USB as a console doesn't work everywhere.
>
> >You mean I should try a PS/2 keyboard?  The console works for "boot
> >netbsd-sandy6.1 -a" with USB keyboard.

> 'console' is the low-level code, e.g. when the kernel itself
> asks you for the root disk or when you start ddb.

> That's different from the code that is used for the tty driver
> and things like getty.

I could try the /dev fix on NetBSD-6.99.23 i386 USB-stick installation first,
where I have no packages built/installed, to see if it works before going to
the amd64 installation.

Tom