Re: Creating /dev/dk* nodes so as to be persistent

> On Fri, 18 Oct 2013, Thomas Mueller wrote:
> >> Why not just make more /dev/dk* nodes?
>
> > Problem is how to make more /dev/dk* nodes so as to show at the next boot.

> Make them in the underlying disk file system, as has been suggested to
> you several times.

> > I can run
> MAKEDEV dk15 dk16 dk17 ...
> > but these don't survive for the next boot.

> Probably because you are making those device nodes in a tmpfs file
> system.

> > With the devpubd line in /etc/rc.conf, "NO" changed to "YES", I saw
> > the desired /dev/dk* nodes, but haven't yet had the situation where
> > root partition needed to be fsck'ed since then.
>
> > Maybe the /dev/dk* nodes would be made before fsck_root?

> /etc/rc.d/devpubd runs long after /etc/rc.d/fsck_root, as you can see
> by analysing the PROVIDE/REQUIRE/BEFORE lines in the scripts, or looking
> at the output from "rcorder /etc/rc.d/*", or looking at the log file in
> /var/run/rc.log.

> --apb (Alan Barrett)

How do I make device nodes in the underlying disk file system?

How do I access the underlying file system and MAKEDEV?

Now I don't know if fsck_root would run if root is above the /dev/dk* range.

Most of the time, root is unmounted cleanly, but NetBSD is more
crash-susceptible than FreeBSD or Linux.

NetBSD 6.1_STABLE hung on boot on MSI Z77 MPOWER motherboard, every time, most
of the time reaching login prompt but hanging there.

I could run fsck_ffs from FreeBSD.

Most valuable part of this USB-stick NetBSD installation is subversion (svn),
which I don't want to disable by high-risk fixes to /dev.

Tom