Re: Cross-build failure from Linux

On Wed, May 1, 2013 at 9:38 AM, Julio Merino <julio%meroh.net@localhost> wrote:
> On Wed, May 1, 2013 at 3:09 AM, Phileas Fogg <phileas-fogg%mail.ru@localhost>
> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> i build my NetBSD macppc for PowerMac G5 on Arch Linux amd64
>> without any problems. And i built it on NetBSD macppc G5 itself
>> successfully too but i never tried to build it on FreeBSD G5 or Linux G5.
>
> This, and the other replies, seem to indicate that the problem is
> somehow confined to ppc64 hosts.
>
> To anybody more familiar with the build system: any clues as to why
> that might be? Is the __multi3 function being complained about here
> something that the host needs to provide, or the cross-built libraries
> that we have just generated as part of the tools?

So, eventually, I found the culprit.

It seems like the gmp version currently in the tree (5.0.2) has a
problem in powerpc64 hosts. It is not explicitly called out in the
release notes, but even building it outside of the NetBSD source tree,
using the upstream sources, results in the same problem.

gmp 5.0.5 appears to work. I have replaced gmp locally with this newer
version and I have been able to build the tools successfully. Now
proceeding to a full release.

What's involved in bringing gmp up to date? My local changes are
probably incomplete (I just replaced the dist directory with the new
code) and I don't know how to validate the results.

Thanks,

--
Julio Merino / @jmmv