Re: dhc* in NetBSD 7.0

On Tue, 26 Mar 2013 15:22:33 +0000 (UTC), Christos Zoulas wrote:
>>> I often use tcsh(1) and sendmail(8) on NetBSD - why are they not in base?

[...]

> - tcsh was under consideration and still is to replace csh.

[...]

> - sendmail took a long time to die before it was replaced with postfix.
>   being patient and conservative pays off usually because the transition
>   is less painful. I've had two people who's configuration did not work
>   with dhcpcd and worked with dhclient and I am working with them to
>   fix it.

... except that my tongue-in-cheek point was about dhcpd(8), not the
clients.

Unless you have a business building wlan access points, you'll have one
dhcp server per network at most, but probably one MTA (however simple)
per (unix) machine. So I think dhcpd can and should be spun off to
pkgsrc - after all, the "we need to be able to cross-build it" argument
holds for a lot of software that people might want (sendmail for me).

>   I think that it is appropriate to include dhclient in the
>   next formal release, and announce that this is the last release where
>   we will ship it, to give a chance to people to upgrade.

Seconded, with the addition that dhcpd(8) should go, too.

hauke

--
Hauke Fath                        <hauke%Espresso.Rhein-Neckar.DE@localhost>
Ernst-Ludwig-Straße 15