Re: -fstrict-overflow and -Wstrict-overflow

On Sat, Oct 13, 2012 at 04:56:17AM +0000, David Holland wrote:
 >  > >One of (serious) problem that we can't use -Wstrict-overflow by default
 >  > >is that gcc sometimes misundestand it :-<
 >  > >
 >  > >How should we use it?
 >  >
 >  > Do you have an example where gcc does the wrong thing with
 >  > -Wstrict-overflow?  (The example in your message, which I am not
 >  > quoting here, showed gcc doing the right thing: that is, drawing
 >  > attention to a case where the program invoked undefined behaviour.)
 >
 > fairly simple one: games/backgammon/backgammon/move.c, at line 164.

I fixed that by reorganizing the backgammon code and then inserting a
strategic assertion.

However, I draw everyone's attention to the remaining failure in
games/gomoku, on line 682 of pickmove.c:

681:       verts = checkframes(cbp, ocbp, osp, s, vertices);
682:       if (verts < 0)

where checkframes() is a nontrivial 130-line function.

I don't think this one is going to get "fixed" anytime soon.

--
David A. Holland
dholland%netbsd.org@localhost