Re: Problems with IPMI and wm? sharing a physical Ethernet port

On Tue, Jun 26, 2012 at 08:37:55PM +0000, Michael van Elst wrote:

> Sounds like SMASH CLP, which is definitely a standard at least regarding
> syntax. See http://dmtf.org/standards/smash.

Yeah, it's SMASH.  The ATEN implementation used by SuperMicro is pretty
awful to use because you can't reliably list objects at any level, so you
have to work blind. :-(

> >I wish they hadn't monkeyed around with the VNC protocol.  Then at least
> >using the graphical console forwarding would be an option.
>
> Yep, so far they all deliver a usually pretty broken Java applet, that,
> if it works, is ugly and slow and very limited to use.

The problem with the ATEN one SuperMicro uses is that it uses native
methods.  Won't work without them.  Signed by some random dude in China.
Won't run on my management box's OS anyway, which removes any temptation
to run them!

The other one commonly OEMed seems to have its origins at Avocent: IBM,
Dell, and others use that one.  It is pure Java so at least it is a little
more safe.

Thor