Re: PR 45833 (mplayer related crash): Workarounds / alternatives?

On Sat, May 5, 2012 at 12:17 PM, Mayuresh <mayuresh%acm.org@localhost> wrote:
> On Sat, May 05, 2012 at 09:23:15AM +0530, Mayuresh wrote:
>> I am trying to build vlc as an alternative, though it has heavy
>
> vlc works for me after a time taking build now. However, when playing a
> long movie, the screen gets switched off though audio continues after a
> few minutes (perhaps due to power saving setting).
>
> However, no keystroke, mouse move, Ctrl-Alt-F1 etc brings the screen back.
>
> Only way is to login over network and reboot or use the power button to
> power off.
>

> Is this a system issue? Any solution to that?

Assuming that this is under X, you could try executing

xset s off
xset dpms off

in a terminal before running vlc to see a movie.

--Benny.

--
The first essential in chemistry is that you should perform practical
work and conduct experiments, for he who performs not practical work