PR 45833 (mplayer related crash): Workarounds / alternatives?

Aforesaid problem virtually closes down mplayer as an option for playing
media on NetBSD 6.0 BETA.

If there is any workaround so that one can still use mplayer, while this
PR gets fixed, please do suggest.

I am trying to build vlc as an alternative, though it has heavy
dependencies. I do not find an option by which I can build only cvlc (CLI
tool) and possibly avoid dependencies like qt4. (Not sure whether that's
possible either.)

Besides I tried ffplay, though can't get sound to work with ffplay.

Are there other alternative media players with a simple CLI and not too
many dependencies, with support for mp4, mp3, ogg, vob.

Mayuresh