Re: Sysinst default root login shell

On Thu, Apr 12, 2012 at 5:04 PM, Johnny Billquist <bqt%softjar.se@localhost>
wrote:

> Funny you should say that, while a CVS checkout of all of the NetBSD source
> tree have grown in time from about 20 minutes to about 5 hours on a VAX-8650
> as we move from NetBSD 2 to NetBSD 5. Did we really improve performance, or
> did we only just get faster computers, while the code itself got slower?

Did you compare the size of the tree from NetBSD 2 and NetBSD 5?
Number of bytes and files, that is.

Did you compare how many stale directories have appeared in this time
frame, that require the prune stage of "cvs update" to walk the whole
tree?  (Which in my experience is the slowest part of an update,
particularly with slow hard disks.)

--
Julio Merino / @jmmv