Re: Sysinst default root login shell

On Wed, Apr 11, 2012 at 09:36:25AM +0200, Johnny Billquist wrote:
 > >It may have never occured to you if you have grown with csh in time
 > >when it did have features absent elsewhere. These days the situation
 > >is reverse. csh is neither more capable nor more useful. It is not
 > >merely different either. It is alien. User reaction to csh is
 > >definite, they try to change it, and if the latter is not possible
 > >the first command they type after login is this:
 > >
 > >bash

I still don't understand why anyone wants to specifically run bash.
But anyway...

 > So I guess you are constantly logged in to root, and do all your
 > work there. Furthermore, you indiscriminately copy-paste complex
 > shell scripts to your prompt, instead of having them in a file.

The behavior/interface of your root environment should match the
behavior/interface of your normal environment as much as possible, to
reduce the chance of making expensive mistakes.

--
David A. Holland
dholland%netbsd.org@localhost