Re: Fix for kern/20700

On Thu, Dec 01, 2011 at 02:40:20PM -0800, Brian Buhrow wrote:
>       Hello.  Yes, I'm aware of that issue, and have been thinking about how
> to addressit.  Manuel's comment that media 1000baset is an alias for media
> auto is correct, but my take is that it is still an improvement over the
> existing state of affairs, especially the fact that if you configure
> 1000baset and reboot, everything will appear to work because the port
> negotiates link between the time the driver configures the chip and the
> time ifconfig is run as part of the rc scripts process.  But, if you then
> unplug the cable, or reset the port, you lose link and it will never return
> without manual intervention.
>       However, having said that, I can certainly augment the patch to bring
> link down if it doesn't match the requested speed.  Since Nway negotiation
> is required for 1000-base-T connections, I'd probably set tings up to work
> regardless of the requested duplex, just so a user wouldn't be completely
> dead in the water and so it behaves more like 100-base-T connections do
> today.
> Thoughts?

In nway negotiation it's possible to advertise only a subset of supported
speeds, isn't it ? I think that for 1000baseT we should advertise only
1000baseT, and not 10baseT and 100baseTX.
(BTW, It could be usefull to have a way to set the list of medias to
advertise, but that's not exactly the same issue).