Re: raidframe performance question

On Fri, May 06, 2011 at 04:26:05PM -0700, Paul Goyette wrote:
> >These might be drivers with 4KB sectors ...

That should have read "... drives ..."/

> Ah, OK, which other parameter (if any) should I adjust to take this
> into consideration?

You must make sure that the operating system (at least most of time)
writes a multiple of 4KB at a 4KB boundary.

You achieve that you need to:
- align the MBR partition (which you didn't)
- use a power of two RAID stripe size (which you did)
- use a power of two file-system block size (which you have to anyway)

> Duh.   :)

BTW: based on my past experience(*) I would recommend a stripe size
of 128 sectors (not 64) and file-system block size of 16KB with
a fragment size of 2KB.

        Kind regards

(*) http://zhadum.org.uk/2008/07/25/raid-and-file-system-performance-tuning/