Re: "src/common" (was: ld.elf_so sources)

In article <20101116001037.GA25369%homeworld.netbsd.org@localhost>,
Martin Husemann  <martin%homeworld.netbsd.org@localhost> wrote:
>On Mon, Nov 15, 2010 at 10:37:23PM +0000, Matthias Scheler wrote:
>> I'm sorry but I think that is a rather bad idea. Moving userland sources
>> into "src/sys" feels just wrong. I think that "src/common" reflects quite
>> well that these sources are shared between kernel and userland.
>
>I realy can't see what big difference src/common vs. src/sys/common does
>make in this case - it's common, so it belongs to both.
>
>> I don't think this is a good enough reason. Updating part of your
>> source tree has always been a problematic pratice.
>
>Yes, with one big historical (and very usefull) practical exception: src/sys
>used to be completely self contained for at least 10 years.

With the exception of config. I don't think you can build a kernel without
config, and if you forget to update config, it just lets you know. Perhaps
adding this sort of notification to src/common will be enough.

christos