"src/common" (was: ld.elf_so sources)

On Tue, Nov 16, 2010 at 04:33:25AM +1100, matthew green wrote:
> > What exactly will replace src/common, when, and how exactly will it work?
>
> the general idea is that kernel sources belong in src/sys, so they'll
> move into there somewhere.  the userland .PATH will simply be modified
> to suit.  the actual implementation details don't exist yet.

I'm sorry but I think that is a rather bad idea. Moving userland sources
into "src/sys" feels just wrong. I think that "src/common" reflects quite
well that these sources are shared between kernel and userland.

> while i see the pain from your POV, there's a regular pain felt by
> many people who get broken kernel builds when they forget to update
> src/common when updating src/sys.

I don't think this is a good enough reason. Updating part of your
source tree has always been a problematic pratice.

        Kind regards