NetBSD 5.0.2 issues with Realtek Gigabit

Hello all:

I am long time UNIX/BSD user, but only recently have taken the chance to admin my own box with a new home project I started.  After some (OK, lots) of reading, I finally settled on NetBSD.

Firstly, let me apologize if I am not posting in the correct forum.  Secondly, let me get on with my problem.

My new system is an Intel Atom D510 (64-bit) based ITX motherboard ( Intel 510MO w/ Realtek 8111D ethernet controller).  I have installed a a vanilla system from the AMD64 5.0.2 install CD iso image.

THE MAIN ISSUE:
The system only recognizes the NIC as 100baseTX full-duplex (from ifconifig).  At first DHCP from my router did not seem to work after enabling dhclient=yes , but after a couple of reboots, that seems OK (Though I am not sure quite what I did).  Also, the MAC address is FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF, which I am pretty sure I am so lucky as to find that one particular MAC address in the whole of mankind.

I did some searches, and came across these threads:
http://mail-index.netbsd.org/current-users/2009/04/10/msg008942.html
http://mail-index.netbsd.org/tech-net/2010/01/08/msg001814.html

My problem sounds very similar to the first. So, A.) I am surprised to see the same issue a year and two master bug fixes later, and B.) being new to the sys admin role, wasn't quite sure how to apply the patches talked about in the thread.

I am sorry, but at this point I can't post output from that machine directly at this point, but I that is another problem of my own making that I am working on.

Many thanks in advance.

Sincerely,
Stephen