Re: git copies of cvs modules available

On 2010-01-11 08:37 +0100 (Mon), S.P.Zeidler wrote:

> The git repo has been broken after a system panic such that the obvious
> way forward was to restore a backup
> git fsck will tell you there is a problem, but not fix it

Right; this sort of thing can happen to any VCS.

> If we should be using something as brittle as git, backups should be
> run at least daily...

I'm not clear; are you saying that Git is more brittle than anything
else in this situation?

I'd certainly say that backups should be run at least daily regardless,
but it seems to me that Git is going to be much better at dealing with
server failures than something like CVS or Subversion, since anybody
who clones the whole repo is going to have a full backup.

In fact, if you're quite paranoid, just have a post-receive-hook that
pushes the master repo to the backup repo on a remote machine, and the
backup repo will be updated after every commit. You can also make the
backup repo publically readable, so that should the master go down,
everybody still has read access to a repo containing every commit up to
the point where the master went down.

cjs
--
Curt Sampson         <cjs%cynic.net@localhost>         +81 90 7737 2974