Re: git copies of cvs modules available

On Sun, Jan 10, 2010 at 12:39:47PM -0500, Arnaud Lacombe wrote:

> What bugs me is that we oscillate between two extremes, one putting
> the pressure on the server resource (git://), the other on the
> network-traffic (http://, rsync://, ...). :(

Certainly if the git maintainers wanted to fix that, git would be much
more suitable for use with the NetBSD repository.  Similarly, if the
cvs-to-git import scripts weren't stupid about file revisions and RCS
keywords...

*shrug* we more or less have to evaluate tools as they're already
available to us, because otherwise we're going to end up in endless
squabbling about what revision control system could do what for us if
only someone wrote magic code X.

I have to say so far I am pretty unimpressed with git, from the point
of view of someone who actually has to maintain the systems where the
NetBSD repository is stored and made available; similarly, the
difficulty of getting a clean import of our repository without all
kinds of RCS tag expansion problems does not give me warm fuzzies.