Re: git copies of cvs modules available

On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 07:08:23PM +0100, S.P.Zeidler wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Thus wrote Michal Suchanek (hramrach%centrum.cz@localhost):
>
> > I see multiple issues here.
> > It is not surprising that like cvs git
> > requires a service of its own to work properly,
>
> UNlike cvs, unless you want to name ssh 'a service of its own'.
>
> > and it is not
> > surprising that the current vcs admins do not want to run multiple
> > such service as it means more work for them and perhaps too much
> > server load as well.
>
> Work for me is not the point (unless it's pointless work :).
> The current git repo is situated on the ftp server, not on any cvs
> server. The frequent updates of the git repo are sufficient extra load
> already for that machine.

I might have missed something in previous emails, but I am still struggling
to understand where all this extra load is.  How is the Git repository setup
and managed?

> To create a perfect conversion, one would need to take cvsroot, parse the
> commitlogs, add another information stream for repo moves, and replay the
> evolution of the respective trees commit by commit, for every branch there
> is. All existing tools just look at the cvs module itself, and take
> guesses otherwise, and fail (depending on target repo by creating wrong
> information or by falling over dead) because they lack information that is
> just not in the cvs module, but vital to recreate historical checkouts.

Yes.  The git-cvsimport stuff just uses cvsps which is about as good as
you're going to get, AFAIK.

-- Thomas Adam

--
"It was the cruelest game I've ever played and it's played inside my head."
-- "Hush The Warmth", Gorky's Zygotic Mynci.