Re: experience updating current -> current with sysinst

On Thu, 22 Oct 2009, Hubert Feyrer wrote:
> After i managed to finish a -current builds a few days ago, I
> thought I'd use sysinst's upgrade mode to update the system, for a
> change. Here are some findings:

Was this running sysinst from the obj tree, installing things from
the destdir tree?  It would be nice if that worked, and it might
make sense if sysinst was installed somewhere other than in CD
images (e.g. in /usr/sbin).

>  * I ended up with a /METALOG - is that intended? Interesting enough,
>    that file is not in any of the created set files.

I can't help with the rest, but maybe I can explain this part.
${DESTDIR} contains METALOG and one or two other METALOG-related
files that are not included in any of the sets.  The cvs log message
for revision 1.291 of src/share/mk/bsd.own.mk contains some
information about why METALOG is in DESTDIR rather than OBJDIR.
sysinst should be taught to ignore these files.

--apb (Alan Barrett)