Re: experience updating current -> current with sysinst

2009/10/22 Hubert Feyrer <hubert%feyrer.de@localhost>:

> After i managed to finish a -current builds a few days ago, I thought I'd
> use sysinst's upgrade mode to update the system, for a change. Here are some
> findings:

I build -current on i386 every week or so, but since about 5.99.15
have not been able to boot the CD on a real hardware; as I have
mentioned in a different post, it boots fine under VirtualBox though
(both the .iso file and the physical CD).

VirtualBox upgrades and fresh installations worked just fine.

>  * Digging up the sysinst binary was a bit of a pain (obj/distrib/...),
>   updating from a local directory was quite OK overall.
>  * "postinstall check" fails - nothing critical, but no way to scroll back
>   and see what actually fails, or to run "fix" or so.

Didn't fail for me on the VirtualBox upgrades. I did manual upgrade on
real hardware (.tgz files sans [x]etc.tgz in /, then etcupdate which
ran postinstall), this gave me an error about check fonts, this I
couldn't grok.

>  * I ended up with a /METALOG - is that intended? Interesting enough, that
>   file is not in any of the created set files.

No such thing here.

>  * I expected some old backups to be in /etc.OLD or so, seems that's in
>   /.sysinst now
>  * /stand didn't get new modules installed - apparently the "modules.tgz"
>   flag only has one file:
>
>        # tar ztf modules.tgz
>        ./etc/mtree/set.modules
>        #

Mine is fully populated.

>   This is somewhat bad, given that a modular kernel with no modules
>   installed will not boot.
>
>  * Thinking the system is ok, I gave it a reboot, resulting in:
>
>        root file system type: ffs
>        sh: Can't open /etc/rc
>        Enterh pathname of shell or RETURN for /bin/sh:

5.99.20 otherwise seems to be working very well for me (I gave up
trying to get the drm working on a Radeon 9800 card and replaced it
with an old Matrox).

> Now off to fix the mess...
>

>  - Hubert

Chavdar Ivanov
--
----
Pablo Picasso  - "Computers are useless. They can only give you