Re: hotplug (was Re: Option N.V. Wireless WAN modem driver)

On Tue, 28 Jul 2009, Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:

> No. I am saying that the absolute broken concept of the Windows Driver
> Disk should be handled internally by the driver. This is even more
> important as the process of switching into "native" device mode differs
> between vendors.

if the driver reconfigures the device directly, then it is not possible to
look at the disk data using NetBSD.  What if there is configuration data
(eg APN context info) to be found on the disk?  (actually, I haven't
managed to examine this disk using NetBSD because it won't mount -- a
different issue but I would like to be able to do so..)

In my opinion, when you plug something in, the kernel driver should not be
doing anything except the most basic recognition without instruction from
userland..

iain