Re: hotplug (was Re: Option N.V. Wireless WAN modem driver)

On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 09:59:48AM +0100, Iain Hibbert wrote:
> On Mon, 27 Jul 2009, Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Jul 27, 2009 at 09:02:05AM +0100, Iain Hibbert wrote:
> > > I see that some other drivers handle the transition automatically but
> > > I find that a little distasteful and would prefer to have some kind of
> > > hotplug manager for that.
> >
> > I disagree. The Linux approach of using a userland component is a mess.
> > Please do not duplicate that.
>
> I'm not sure how you are proposing to handle newly inserted USB disks,
> CDs, PCMCIA wireless cards etc.. do you suggest that the kernel should
> just configure them automatically as they appear?

No. I am saying that the absolute broken concept of the Windows Driver
Disk should be handled internally by the driver. This is even more
important as the process of switching into "native" device mode differs
between vendors.

What happens after that is a separate question.

Joerg