Re: NetBSD RAID5 options (PCI-e controller?)

On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 04:50:52PM +0100, David Brownlee wrote:
>       I'd like to move to 2*1TB RAID1 for boot, OS, build etc and
>       3*1.5TB raid5 for data files. Would people recommend raidframe
>       raid5 or a dedicated raid controller?

A friend of mine has a massive RAID 5 using RAIDframe, something like
3x1TB and 3x1.5TB. It works fine but it needs a very long time to
re-build the parity after an ungraceful shutdown. IIRC it takes over
24 hours.

If long re-builds are a problem in your case you probably want a
hardware RAID controller. Alternatively you could wait for the
result of RAIDframe GSoC project(*).

        Kind regards

(*) http://blog.netbsd.org/tnf/entry/google_summer_of_code_improving