Re: NetBSD RAID5 options (PCI-e controller?)

On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 05:25:31PM +0100, Matthias Scheler wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 04:50:52PM +0100, David Brownlee wrote:
> >     I'd like to move to 2*1TB RAID1 for boot, OS, build etc and
> >     3*1.5TB raid5 for data files. Would people recommend raidframe
> >     raid5 or a dedicated raid controller?
>
> A friend of mine has a massive RAID 5 using RAIDframe, something like
> 3x1TB and 3x1.5TB. It works fine but it needs a very long time to
> re-build the parity after an ungraceful shutdown. IIRC it takes over
> 24 hours.
>
> If long re-builds are a problem in your case you probably want a
> hardware RAID controller. Alternatively you could wait for the
> result of RAIDframe GSoC project(*).

I wonder what the performance effects of the rebuild are as well; even
with a RF mirror, machine I/O performance suffers pretty badly.

--rafal

--
  Time is an illusion; lunchtime, doubly so.     |/\/\|           Rafal Boni
                   -- Ford Prefect               |\/\/|